Thanks and thoughts

THANKS TO ALL who have commented on the previous post, especially to Gloria for her warm welcome back. For about 13 months I was involved in a very rewarding but very time-consuming project--educating woodland owners about ways to earn income from selective harvesting of a few trees instead of the wholesale clearcutting that is too frequently practiced in this area. I struggled to keep up with the demands of the project and this blog but finally caved in and stopped blogging. Now the project is over, I'm easing back in to posting.

While off doing other things, I did have some time to think about the blog, however, and I have been thinking about taking a slightly different approach than the one I was using before. I'd like to make it easier for me to keep up with the blog and at the same time make sure that those who are kind enough to read the blog find it, a., useful and interesting and, b., easy to read.

Here are some of the conclusions I've reached so far. I'd appreciate any comments anyone has to offer:
  • Every blogger has her own strengths, but I think my greatest strength is probably my ability to do research. Other bloggers are better writers, are more knowledgeable about gardening, etc. etc., but I seem to excel at reasearch. Probably it's because I'm a former journalist, but I enjoy research and seem to be pretty good at it. I also enjoy sharing the results. I also think this is probably a good service to provide for readers because, let's face it, in the Blogosphere lots of people have opinions. Facts, not so much. At any rate, I've been thinking that this blog should specialize in offering research-based answers to specific questions. In fact, I'd enjoy answering reader questions if anyone would like to pose any.
  • I find it impossible to post as often as other bloggers do, and yet I'm sure my erratic schedule must be annoying for people who read this blog. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier on everyone if I tried to stick to a schedule, even if it isn't very frequent. Once a month is nothing by blogging standards, for instance, but it is at least a schedule I could stick to. And those of you who do not use feed readers would at least know when to check this space for new material.

The art above is from an old cigar box label and is courtesy of Dover Publications, which gives away free samples of its clip art books and CD-Roms.

3 comments:

Gloria said...

However often you are able to blog is fine. I agree that evidence based information would be beneficial. An information filled post with links or other sources would be great fun.
I have been trying to find out how officials are reacting (behind closed doors) to the larger predators resurfacing in urban areas like Chicago.
Do animal control priorities differ with those at Fish and Wildlife? Finding answers is not easy. I can not believe I was so unaware.Sometimes we don't even know what questions to ask.
I'll be looking forward to the next addition.

Benjamin Vogt said...

Anytime, any place, just come back to us! Your non-blogging project sounds wonderful, needed, and fruitfull, and I'm envious of the fieldwork sort of thing.

Unknown said...

hi flora and thanks for visiting my blog. i've been reading yours for over a year, being a wild gardener myself! re/this post - i had a similar break from blogging this past summer - life got in the way! best wishes for the new year and as i said before, it's great to have you back!