Autumn: The Only Question


The following poem by Burton D. Carley is taken from the 1997 Unitarian Universalist Ministers Association worship materials guide. I encountered it via Panhala, an e-mail newsletter that puts a quotation (usually a poem) in my inbox every morning.

I do not know if the seasons remember their history or if the days and nights by which we count time remember their own passing.

I do not know if the oak tree remembers its planting or if the pine remembers its slow climb toward sun and stars.

I do not know if the squirrel remembers last fall's gathering or if the bluejay remembers the meaning of snow.

I do not know if the air remembers September or if the night remembers the moon.

I do not know if the earth remembers the flowers from last spring or if the evergreen remembers that it shall stay so.

Perhaps that is the reason for our births--to be the memory for creation.

Perhaps salvation is something very different than anyone ever expected.

Perhaps this is the only question we will have to answer: "What can you tell me about September?"


To subscribe to Panhala, send a blank e-mail to Panhala-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Burton D. Carley is the minister of the First Unitarian Church of Memphis, Tennessee. For more of his poems, see the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations website.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: